This year, seven Anglican parishes in Adelaide are joining the state History Festival, an annual state-wide event exploring South Australia’s past.
Held throughout May each year, the History Festival explores the state’s places and spaces, stories, collections and ideas that make us who we are.
Anglican churches are some of the oldest buildings and most longstanding communities in the state, so it is unsurprising many parishes want to celebrate from St Matthew’s Kensington, established in 1848, which has some of the oldest burial sites in Adelaide, to the architectural treasures of St Theodore’s, Toorak Gardens.
Some parishes have more than one event planned, such as St Matthews which will highlight not just its historic cemetery but its stained glass windows.
St John’s Halifax Street, the second oldest Anglican church in South Australia, is holding guided tours, St Aidan’s Payneham, an open day, and St Michael’s Mitcham, a celebration of its 170 years heritage,
St Bede’s Semaphore, is conducting guided history tours, while Trinity Church, founded in 1836, celebrates its claim to fame as the oldest established church in Adelaide.
Anglican Churches participating in SA History Festival
- St Matthew’s Kensington, Historic Gravestone Tour https://festival.history.sa.gov.au/events/st-matthews-church-historic-gravestone-tour/ : Stained Glass Window Tourhttps://festival.history.sa.gov.au/events/st-matthews-church-historic-stained-glass-window-tour/ : Walking Tour https://festival.history.sa.gov.au/events/st-matthews-church-historic-walking-tour/
- St Theodore’s Toorak Gardens, An Architectural Treasure https://festival.history.sa.gov.au/events/st-theodores-church-an-architectural-treasure/
- St John’s Adelaide, Old and New Stories https://festival.history.sa.gov.au/events/st-johns-anglican-church-old-and-new-stories/
- St Aidan’s Payneham, Open Day https://festival.history.sa.gov.au/events/st-aidans-anglican-church-open-day/
- St Michael’s Mitcham, 70 Years of Being Community https://festival.history.sa.gov.au/events/st-michaels-anglican-church-170-years-of-being-community/
- Trinity Church Adelaide, The Wonder of the Oldest Church in a City of Churcheshttps://festival.history.sa.gov.au/events/the-wonder-of-the-oldest-church-in-a-city-of-churches/
- St Bede’s Semaphore, Guided History Tours of St Bede’s Anglican Churchhttps://festival.history.sa.gov.au/events/guided-history-tours-of-st-bedes-anglican-church/